The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.
We are currently seeking a Mass Care Manager to work in our Mineola, NY location covering Long Island.
Strong volunteer management experience preferred.
The Mass Care Manager is responsible for leading and managing a primarily volunteer team to support and provide Mass Care in the Long Island area. This position serves as the lead functional expert in a Red Cross Region for the Mass Care function. Tailoring national program offerings for the Region and communities within the Region, providing technical expertise, training, and leading regional implementation of Mass Care, this position supports regional employees and volunteers in the disaster territories to build capacity in the local community for the disaster cycle.
Specific functions of this position include program implementation, remote team building of employees and volunteers, and soliciting feedback from end customers.
The Mass Care Manager works to perform these functions according to the program direction provided by the Mass Care function at headquarters. Team leadership, supervision, and personnel development is provided by the Regional Disaster Functions/Support Director or the Regional Disaster and Program Officer; and may have a dotted line to the Disaster Program Manager or Community Exec (s) in the territory they cover.
Specific Responsibilities: In addition to overseeing the Mass Care program, will also support other forward-facing responsibilities to work with response clients; will work with a strong volunteer team.
1. Implement strategies, initiatives, processes and procedures that support the successful region wide day-to-day and major relief operation provision of Mass Care services.
2. Within scope of position, represents the full disaster cycle of preparation, response and recovery.
3. Ensures the delivery and availability of American Red Cross services to diverse communities.
4. Works to ensure all Mass Care activities are in compliance will region and national procedures and policies.
5. Develops, communicates and implements Mass Care priorities, goals and objectives in support of the region's territories.
6. Evaluates and reports on the capacity and effectiveness of Mass Care services. Prepares recommendations for continuous improvement.
7. Manages National Shelter System reporting for both Red Cross and non-Red Cross shelters.
8. Responsible for supporting consistent service delivery strategies throughout the region as well as supporting field teams implementation of strategies and plans.
9. Manage the identification and survey of shelters in coordination with the Disaster Program Managers and Mass Care volunteers.
10. Ensures access to Safe and Well communication system for registration within the shelter environment.
11. Ensures functional needs shelter requirements are identified, resourced and met.
12. Identifies feeding requirements based on regional needs analysis and supports Logistics in negotiating and managing regional feeding contracts.
13. Serve as the subject matter expert (SME) and provide oversight for Mass Care role that Red Cross plays at both local level as well as in the co-lead role of ESF-6 within the National Response Framework.
14. Ensures roles and responsibilities of Red Cross identified in tribal, local, state and FEMA agreements (MOUs, MOAs, etc.) are being met.
15. Coordinates specialized training in Mass Care.
16. Develops Mass Care support volunteer teams in conjunction with the Disaster Program Managers.
17. Support field based staff and volunteer teams and systems.
18. Develops and cultivates professional relationships with key internal and external partners and organizations (assigned relationships monitored and tracked by a portfolio management system).
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years experience with social services or service/program delivery. Experience in providing leadership to staff and volunteer activities. Ability to interpret program trends, results, and related data to formulate recommendations. Ability to manage multiple priorities with strong skills in planning and problem-solving. Ability to relate well and effectively with diverse groups and individuals.
Management Experience: Minimum 1-3 years of supervisory experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities: Proven track record of collaboration, facilitation, problem solving, leadership, and partnership management. Additionally, this position requires the ability for planning. Individual must be customer oriented, flexible, organized, and able to operate with an orientation toward solutions with a customer focus and team orientation. Demonstrates in depth knowledge of program or service. Participates in developing strategies to achieve organizational goals. Demonstrated analytical and decision making skills to develop creative processes for continuous program or service improvements. Demonstrated ability in creating presentations and developing training modules. Excellent oral and communication skills, including training and presentations.
Other: Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Must be able to perform all assigned responsibilities under "grey sky" requirements. This position is also responsible for ensuring that all American Red Cross finance policies and procedures are followed as related to the scope of work activity.
Travel: Will require regional travel. Must have a current, valid driver's license.Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment.